Did you know that anytime you share your link or link to a piece of content…
You are leaving money on the table if you ignore this post because you could shorten links and earn money.
Paid link shorteners are overlooked by many but I’m going to show you how I use them to make extra money with my sites and put them all to the test once and for all.
What You Will Learn
- What link shorteners are and why to use them
- How paid shorteners work
- How to shorten links and earn money
- Which shortener is the most profitable
Most websites make money through things like selling ad space, affiliate products or their own digital products and so on.
Some monetization methods are more or less passive, some require ongoing work, some seem to suit a particular website well, others not so much.
Creative website owners can combine a variety of methods and use them simultaneously. You have to test a combination of strategies to see what works best for you.
But today I’m going to explain a new layer with paid link shorteners and the results of my own tests – the shorteners that are the most profitable.
So read on if you would like to add another great weapon of choice to your website monetization arsenal!
An Introduction to Link Shorteners
A Link Shortener is a website or application that turns long links into short ones, that redirect to the long link.
The short version just redirects you to the long version – which makes for easier sharing especially on social networks like Twitter.
Using a link shortener is very easy. Just paste in the URL you want to shorten, click go and you are done.
That’s all there is to it!
Why Use A Link Shortener?
- Save space and “beautify” links. Short links look better and are more user friendly. For some types of communications like text messages or Twitter posting it’s crucial to keep links short to leave room for a message (as you probably know a tweet is 140 characters long)
- Tracking & statistics. Some shorteners give statistics about clicks, impressions and a range of other trackable data.
- Hide a target URL. When you see a shortened URL, you don’t know where you will land after you click it. So, some people use this to disguise the target URL.
And finally, Ladies and Gentlemen:
- Making money. You can earn money each time a short link is clicked! Ayeuhayueuhayueuh!
Show Me the Money – How To Shorten Links And Earn Money
Now you have general idea of how link shorteners work, let’s turn our attention on how to use them to make extra money!
Not all shorteners let you earn money.
So we will focus entirely Paid Link Shorteners that give you all the advantages of a normal shorteners but with the added ability to make money.
I’m going to put all of the best ones to the test in this article!
How Paid Shorteners Work
If you add an advertising layer to a classic shortener, you get paid link shortener.
The layer is added between a shortened URL and destination page and this is how money comes into play.
How it works in practice:
- Visitor clicks a shortened link (shortened URL)
- Ad is displayed on an intermediate page – you earn money.
- The visitor is redirected from the intermediate page to the destination page (long URL)
This method of earning money has some interesting advantages.
What I like most is that it doesn’t consume real estate space of your websites that are better put to use for improving email conversion.
Secondly, you transform leaving visitors into profit and last but not least, short links can be used everywhere, e.g. on facebook pages, twitter, emails etc.
Choosing The Best Paid Link Shortener
When I discovered paid link shorteners, they appeared to be a great additional stream of revenue for two of my websites, so I decided to give them a try.
The problem was I couldn’t find any credible information about the performance of the different companies and there were many contrary opinions among users.
Not to mention that I’ve seen a lot of new players entering the market like rock-stars (offering extremely high CPMs) and vanishing like ghosts after a month or two.
As I trust numbers and stats more than opinions of casual users, I decided to conduct my own tests to find the highest paying URL shortener that actually pays out.
Now I’m much wiser and I’d like to share this knowledge with you.
Choosing Paid Shorteners For Testing
I started with Google and did some research to pick up brands to test.
Finally, I selected four brands: